Wednesday, January 4, 2012

On My Nose

I have long hated my nose.  As a result, I have long obsessed over side profiles.  I have long obsessed over the way my nose looks in pictures.  I always try to have the camera above me and have my nose be down lens.  My dad would tell me I should appreciate my nose because it gives me character.  My mom would insist it could be worse and I should see the noses that run in her extended family, oft citing the "Munyak Curse."

So I hated my nose.  I begged for a nose job.  Like most of the girls at my school.  My mom would say maybe when I turn 18.  That plastic surgery isn't good for girls under 18, they are still growing.

18 came and went and I was too busy for a nose job.

Then this year, the opportunity presented itself.  I had to get surgery to fix my deviated septum.  I could opt to combine it with a rhinoplasty, two birds- one stone.

My boyfriend was unconvinced.  He told me something about conforming to western ideals of beauty.  Blonde, ski-slope nose.  Besides, he loved my face.  And some other things.  I think the summary was getting a nose job wasn't going to make me happy, I was going to continue to find things to be dissatisfied with because I have other problems.

He was right in that sense.  Even if I did have the perfect nose, (it wasn't going to be a ski slope, that was for sure) I was going to find something else.

So I thought about it.  And I got scared.  What if I didn't look quite like me anymore?  Was I just trying to conform to some idea of beauty?  I had already gone back to brunette- I don't think I was fooling anyone into thinking I was some WASP from New England, even if I got my nose did.

So when it came time for my consultation, I opted out of the rhinoplasty.  I was going to fix my septum so I could breathe again and that was going to be it.  I was going to learn to accept it as my nose, and honestly it wasn't that bad of a nose.

Sometimes I see friends who did get a rhinoplasty, and think that they look amazing, and I feel a little jealous that I chose to retain my face the way it was given to me.

But I like to think that in profile, I look a bit like Audrey Hepburn.  She also had a little bump in her nose.



Think Positive, people.

6 comments:

  1. Nothing wrong with your nose at all, glad you didn't alter it :)

    No idea how old this blog post of yours is but I just stumbled across it after Googling 'audrey hepburn nose job' out of curiosity as I don't think there are any pics before hers...

    But yeah, your bf sounds great to have convinced you that you really didn't need it too.
    I don't particularly like my nose at all either, but don't think I'd change it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had no idea she had a nose job? Crazy!

      And you shouldn't change a thing :)

      Delete
  2. You're absolutely stunning. I got a nose job at 18. I saved my pretty pennies to just feel "comfortable" but not happy. Pretty is pretty. You're pretty. I just really needed a nose job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have to carefully think if pushing through with the procedure will really make you happy. It seems to me that you can't fully let go of the idea, particularly when you see your friends who had a nose surgery and got a beautiful result, but worried about how you will perceive yourself after the surgery. I think you should learn to let go of your fears and just do the thing if this is what will really make you happy. PS: if that rumor about Audrey Hepburn nose job is real, then I guess it's worth going through the surgery. =)

    Terry Bayer

    ReplyDelete
  4. It takes full conviction and strong determination before you can fully decide to undergo rhinoplasty. Nose jobs can either make you feel better or the other way around. While some enjoy the results, you can end up regretting the procedure if you’re not really sure about it. However, if you believe you’re all set for it, you can consult a reputable surgeon. It has been some time. How are you? :)

    Laurie Warren

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this article very helpful. thanks. ​nose job malaysia

    ReplyDelete